Sciences Po’s médialab is hiring a Professor in Digital Social Sciences (faculty position in the public sector). The candidate’s social science discipline may be sociology, science & technology studies (STS) or media studies (cultural and visual studies).
Faculty position in the public sector.
Candidates must have:
- the title of Professor,
- or be qualified as a Professor, or an equivalent position in a foreign university at the time of recruitment.
Humanities and Social Sciences. Sociology, Demography (CNU, section 19), Epistemology, History of science and technology (CNU, section 72)
Digital Social Sciences
The position is open to a profile with a strong knowledge of digital worlds (history, uses, technologies, culture) and a familiarity with methods of analysis and exploration of digital data (statistics, modeling, visualization). The candidate’s social science discipline may be sociology, science & technology studies (STS) or media studies (cultural and visual studies).
This position will benefit from a specific financial support: The recruited professor will have a chair of excellence, including a doctoral contract to finance a thesis that s/he will supervise.
Working knowledge in French is required.
The appointed person will conduct their research program at the médialab. (S)He should have a good knowledge of recent theoretical and methodological developments in the analysis of digital data, and a solid experience in empirical work. (S)He will develop their research program by integrating it into research networks and actively participating in the collective activities of the center: seminars and scientific events, collaborations, applications to French, European and international call for proposals, supervision of doctoral students.
The annual teaching service is 128 hours, divided into 3 lectures (CM) of 24 hours each and 56 hours (equivalent CM) of complementary pedagogical tasks (juries, supervision of dissertations, missions, etc.) at all levels of education offered by Sciences Po: undergraduate (in one of the seven campuses of Sciences Po), and graduate.
Candidates practicing at a higher education institution outside France and not qualified by the French National Council of Universities (CNU) must obtain the approval of Sciences Po’s Scientific Council in order to know if they are eligible for this job. They are asked to report to the selection committee chair before December 17th, 2018.
Candidates must submit their application through the “Galaxie” portal of the French Ministry of Higher Education and Research, between October 17th, 2018 and February 28th 2019.
- Nicolas SAUGER, Associated Professor, Director of CDSP (Chair of the selection comitee),
- Dominique CARDON, Associated Professor, Director of the médialab (Vice-Chair of the selection comitee),
- Sophie DUBUISSON, Senior researcher CNRS, Deputy Director of the CSO,
- Martial FOUCAULT, Professor, Director of the CEVIPOF,
- Cornelia WOLL, Professor, CEE.
- Gilles BASTIN, Professor, Sciences Po Grenoble.
- Pablo BOCZKOWSKI, Professor, co-Director of the Center for the Study of Media and Society in Argentina, Northwestern school of communication.
- Fernanda BRUNO, Associate Professor Level 3, Université fédérale de Rio de Janeiro (UFRJ).
- Célia LURY, Professor, Director of the Centre for Interdisciplinary Methodologies, University of Warwick
- Cécile MEADEL, Professor, Paris II Panthéon Assas.